- Knowing what a Page is in WordPress will help organize your content. Because the Theme creates your webpages, a Page is simply the content that goes in the Main section of a given webpage.
Pages should have a hierarchical relationship and in general should not be connected to a particular time. For example, if the content of a page needs to change, you would update it, rather than create a new page. Such as with a home page, rather than creating new home pages every week when you make an update, you would simply edit existing the home page.
Good candidates for Pages are "About", "Contact", "Getting Started". Bad candidates are "July 2014 Newsletter", "Announcing New Staff Member", "Have a Great Summer!". In gets tricky with annually recurring events.
- Timely information should be presented in Posts. Whereas content in Pages should make the most sense organized hierarchically, the content in Posts should be organized chronologically. News, announcements, and events are the best candidates for Posts.
- Menus are created and edited through the Appearance section of the Admin Interface. Multiple menus can be defined to be used in different places and on different pages.
- Wordpress has a very good interface for uploading and managing images through the Media Library. You can easily upload, add captions, and alt text. There is an option to "Replace Media" if you need to update an image.
The best way to include an uploaded image on a Page or Post is to use a shortcode. The
[image id='N']shortcode will include just the image. Use this shortcode when the image is more decorative than informative.
If the image is informative, it should also include a caption. Use the
[figure id='N']to include an image with the caption saved to that image in the Media Library.
- Directory Profiles
- The Directory Profile is a custom post type, created to make managing person contact and other information easier. This post-type can be "connected" to the ISU directory to synchronize basic contact information by including an ISU NetID. Fields are customizable using Custom Fields.